August 06, 2008

Busan Bound

After a couple active days touring in the hot Seoul sun, Deedra and I decided to head to Busan to see what life was like in the south end of the country and cool off at a local beach. Turns out the trip to Busan was an experience in and of itself -- from catching the KTX (high speed train) within minutes of departure, bargaining with taxi drivers, trying to figure out Korean ticket machines, reading Korean maps, asking for directions with hand gestures and navigating the subway systems, we were thankful to reach our destination!

To make a long story short, we eventually made our way to The Grand Hotel, which is strategically located along the Sea of Japan at Haeundae Beach... and it was well worth our efforts to get there.


It didn't take long for us to get ready with our swim suits, beach towels and books for what we thought would be a relaxed, even somewhat boring day at the beach. Boy, were we wrong...

I don't think I read any more than a couple paragraphs in my book because I was watching all the activity around me. I sat in awe at the endless energy of the aujimas (older ladies) renting and setting up parasols and chairs (pictured here in orange shirts). Then I experienced the complete lack of personal space as I joined the mass of bodies wading in the ocean with yellow tubes. And when I had my fill of salt water then I observed as each family closely gathered around their umbrella pole to eat kimchi and other picnic foods. Even the efficient use of beach real estate was entertaining as every square inch was utilized to accommodate the tens of thousands of people. This was one well-organized operation!


Here's a shot of the beach taken mid-morning, when about one quarter of the umbrellas were rented and positioned. In order to accommodate the expected number of visitors, the aujimas knew the umbrellas needed to stand edge to edge and row upon row. Seeing this huge tarp of umbrellas had me wondering whether anyone was getting any sun at all!?

I have to laugh when remembering my trip to the beach in Canada just one month ago. As is typical of the open spaces enjoyed by Canadians wherever they go, so it is at the beach. Granted, I took this picture at Sauble on a weekday afternoon but I consider myself fortunate to have found a few other friends to keep me company on this hot July day =)




The beaches of Busan are spectacular but so are the wonderful walks along the bay together with the outdoor shops, entertainment and restaurants. Not too far from our beach, Deedra found a nature walk that lead to what's called the Nurimaru house built for the 2005 APEC (Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation) conference.



In all honesty, when we stumbled across this place we didn't know its significance but sure enjoyed the air conditioning as we escaped from the hot sun. Only when we started walking through the facility did we realize the leaders of APEC countries were here less than two years ago in November 2005, including Prime Minister Martin of Canada and President Bush of the United States. For more information on the summit itself, visit http://www.whitehouse.gov/apec/2005/.



What an adventurous and educational trip to Busan. I will definitely keep this place in mind for future travel, for it isn't only a beautiful city architecturally but hosts some stunning views of the bay and surrounding mountains; an obvious destination for tourists and national conferences alike!