January 04, 2014

Resorting to the Idyllic

When planning my get-away from Bangkok, I decided to venture from the typical beach vacation in Thailand to an area I had never been before. Friends recommended I travel a couple hours west of Bangkok to visit the historical sites at the River Kwai. It was great having ICS co-workers (Aaron and Lily) join me for the first part of my time there.



When possible, I like to find accommodation that has interesting architecture in building and landscape. In fact, you might say that I appreciate where I stay as much (if not more) than the advertised tourist attractions that draw me to an area. My stay at the Felix River Kwai Resort was no exception. It's difficult to know what to expect when booking a room online but the 50 acre riverfront property adjacent to the River Kwai Bridge definitely did not disappoint.







Christmas decorations made it extra warm both inside and out. I can see why this resort is a popular spot for conferences and a place to go for local celebrations.




An added and unexpected benefit for me was having the place almost to myself because tourism is taking a hit in Thailand due to the protests going on in Bangkok. As much as I enjoyed the added attention from the staff, hopefully the protests will be short-lived and Thailand will once again become what it is known as: the land of smiles.